Friday, October 18, 2013

Monster Cookies

If I have made you a cookie in the last 4 years it was probably a Monster Cookie.  They are delicious!  I named them Monster Cookies after my wonderful step monster who gave me the recipe.  Don't let the name fool you, she is an awesome person, definitely one of my favorites in my world.  Although when I was kid I may have called her a step monster a few times and meant it.  But we all do that as young people right?  Say things we don't mean to our parents.  I know I did.  Fortunately I now have great relationships with all 4 of my parents.  I'm a lucky gal indeed!

Anyway, on to the yummy stuff!  The recipe was not originally gluten free nor did it have chocolate chips but I can't imagine a cookie without chocolate chips, it just seems wrong.  So the chocolate has been permanently added to the recipe.  I always make a double batch and freeze what does not fit in the cookie jar.  They thaw quickly if you need them in a pinch and are actually quite tasty straight from the freezer.

Here are the specifics.

2 C oats
½ C WW flour
½ C white flour
(If gluten free use 1 cup gluten free flour and 1/2 tsp xanthan gum)
1 tsp. baking soda
6 Tbsp. oil ( I use coconut oil, make sure it is warm enough to be a liquid)
1 C brown sugar
1 egg (3 if you double the recipe)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 C dried cranberries
1/2 -3/4 C chocolate chips
1/2 C chopped nuts


Mix all dry ingredients in a big bowl including the chips, cranberries and nuts.  In a separate bowl mix wet stuff.  Add wet to dry and mix well.
Use a ice cream scooper or something small and rounded to scoop out dough and drop onto cookie sheet. 
Bake at 375 (or 350 convect) for 8-12 min and they are golden brown.

With coconut oil, cranberries, nuts, dark chocolate chips and not too much sugar these are practically a heath food so you can eat lots and not feel guilty.  That is what I tell myself anyway.

Enjoy!

A full treat jar makes for a happy house, I think so anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment